Friday, June 5, 2009

And So It Begins...

Well folks, my summer boredom has really sunk in. And in the process, I've had a lot of time to think. I just finished undergrad in May and will be moving far away (out of the country, actually) to start grad school in August, and it makes me think of all the things that I want to do that I haven't yet done. So this mix of boredom and anxiety has helped me to make that crazy decision to do this experiment. 

I've often thought about what it would be like to really be incontinent. Not just wear a diaper for an hour or so and move on, but to really have to wear them 24/7 with no choice. Lately I've read a lot of stories from other people who have tried it, but I really want to give this a shot for myself.

It's a pretty simple plan, really. I'm going to make myself "incontinent" for the duration of the summer, whatever the consequences may be. I'll be wearing disposable adult diapers day in and day out until that time comes where I have to move off and start my next big phase of life. I've made up a few ground rules for myself and they're going to be as follows:

1. The only times I will ever be out of a diaper for the rest of the summer will be either showering or changing, and maybe some time in there to let myself air out a bit. Don't want to get any rashes. 

2. No "mess." I will only be using the diapers for urinary purposes as I've just never been at all interested in using them for bowel movements. So anytime I feel the need to poop, I'll just have to wait until the next changing time so as not to ruin a perfectly good diaper in the process.

3. No holding my urine in until a convenient time. When I have to go, I'll go. Partly because the experiment is to get the actual incontinence experience and partly because holding it could mean flooding and leaking. Which wouldn't be fun, I'm sure.

4. Dress the way I would if I normally had to wear adult diapers. This means only choosing diapers that I can get at a local convenience store or pharmacy. None of the bambino type stuff. And definitely no toddler-style clothing. (I honestly have no AB side anyway, so that's definitely no problem)

5. No changing unless absolutely needed. I don't want this to become an exercise in spending huge amounts of money and, like actual incontinent people probably can attest, the diapers can probably go longer than expected.

6. I am going to live out my normal life routine without interruption to see what it would be like to actually be incontinent. I'm not going to do any crazy stuff, like walk around in public without pants on or act any different way. Just normal, day-to-day life. But with diapers a factor now. I'm not going to be delusional and think that nothing at all will change in the process, but actual incontinence doesn't allow you to pick and choose when and where things happen. It's all part of the territory.

7. The time period of being in diapers 24/7 will be at least 30 days, which as of right now, would take me to July 5th, but will try to stay in them as long as I can. I leave for grad school August 3rd, so any time between now and then is fair game.

The diaper of choice is going to be Attends, which I have never worn but recently stocked up on for this particular purpose. The reason I chose them is because they are fairly easily accessible for me, they're not all that expensive, and, from what I hear, they are pretty high quality. So we'll see how those work out for me.

So that's that.

As soon as I hit submit and post this first entry, I'm going to head to the bedroom and start things off. By the time you read this, I'll be wearing diaper #1 (out of many) and will be starting my summer in diapers.

Follow along with me this summer and we'll take the trip together! I'm fully determined to finish this out, so any support would be great!

1 comment:

  1. they're not all that expensive, and, from what I hear, they are pretty high quality. So we'll see how those work out for me. adult diapers

    ReplyDelete